Just to be clear, I shouldn't give the clown lube, right?
|Access||Medbay, Chemistry Lab, Morgue, Mineral Storage|
|Additional Access||Genetics, Operating Theatre, Cloning Lab, Virology|
|Supervisors||Chief Medical Officer|
|Rank||Lance Corporal (LCPL)|
|Duties||Supply science with chemicals, make medicine and less likable substances in the comfort of a fully reinforced room|
|Guides||Guide to chemistry, Chemical recipes, Guide to Ghetto Chemistry, Grenade, Guide to plumbing|
You start in Medbay. You mess with all sorts of chemicals. That's it. Some of the time you can do what ever you feel like for most of the round or make stuff to deal with the security officers or syndicate fucking with shit in your lab. Be sure to keep the scientists stocked with acid, and keep your nose out of those space drugs!
Bare minimum requirements: Stock the dispenser up with some beneficial medicine before you go off on your own chemical adventures. Give botanists unstable mutagen when they ask for it, and don't give the clown lube!
Getting Things Done[edit | edit source]
Chemists are naturally suspicious individuals. They've got all the tools in the world to break in wherever they desire and/or kill people in all sorts of horrifying and inhumane ways. An easy way to allay this suspicion - whether you plan on doing something suspicious or not - is to make yourself useful to the ship at the game's beginning. Any accidents are likely to be blamed on your coworker, then, if you have one.
Tools of the trade[edit | edit source]
The Chem Dispenser turns electrical energy into a variety of basic chemicals, through
magic science. Guard it with your life. If you run out of power, you can disassemble the dispenser with screwdriver+crowbar and rebuild it by first putting the circuit board back, and then all other things but use a full power cell instead of the old one. Then screwdriver to finish. Or you can charge the machine with an inducer .
The ChemMaster 3000 can magically separate chemicals, and has the ability to produce a limitless supply of 50 unit pills, 40 unit patches and 30 unit bottles.
The Reagent Grinder is identical to the grinder the Chef has. It can be used to extract chemical reagents from things the Shaft Miners, Chef, and Botanists produce.
The Chemical Heater is important for making many recipes that require high temperatures to mix.
Inside the chemistry locker you will find boxes of pill bottles on some maps. These can be loaded with pills for inventory space efficiency.
Some maps also have medical sprays in the same locker. These can be filled with chemicals by using the ChemMaster. They work as patches and provide an optional way to apply medicine.
On a table is a hand labeler. This can be used to label beakers, pill bottles, grenades and many other things. Actual pills and patches are instead labeled with the ChemMaster.
Being helpful[edit | edit source]
Roundstart[edit | edit source]
If someone comes and requests something from you, make sure you fulfill them first. No one likes a chemist doing his own thing as they have to stand there waiting. If you are in the middle of something, inform them that you will be right with them.
- For yourself:
- Make plastic sheets, then use them to craft large water bottles. These are functionally identical to large beakers!
- Bring a few plastic sheets to the medical techfab, and you should be able to print a few 120u XL-beakers.
- Print a chemistry bag from your ChemDrobe. You will use it to put pills/patches/bottles in either the public chemical fridge (for the public), or the fridge accessable from medbay (for the doctors). It's your choice.
- Optionally, grab a syringe gun, vend a couple of syringes from a NanoMed Plus and make a chemical for self-defense to fill them with, such as Chloral Hydrate. You do not have to do this. Also see Arming thyself.
- Suggested basic chems (in order of urgency):
- 30u unstable mutagen bottles for the Botanist.
20u styptic powder patches. These are identical to brute patches. 20u silver sulfadiazine patches. These are identical to burn patches.
- 30u mannitol bottles. Bottles let people use them both to heal their brain damage and to splash on damaged brains.
- 40u potassium iodide pills. Heals minor radiation.
- Suggested intermediate chems:
- 10u neurine pills. This heals basic traumas.
- 5u oculine pills. Heals eyes.
- 0.5u Inacusiate pills. Instantly heals ears.
- 40u synthflesh patches. Heals both brute and burn even on corpses, but deals toxin damage.
- 0.5u mutadone pills. Instantly removes mutations.
- 10u trophazole pills. Heals brute.
- 100u rhigoxane spray bottle. Heals burn.
- 20u syriniver + 80u anything else Intravenous Medicine Bags. Heals toxins.
- 30u clonexadone bottle. Use one of the spare cryoxadone beakers near cryo to make it. Used in cryo mix to heal cellular damage faster.
- Suggested advanced chems:
- 20u pentetic acid pills. Heals toxins, major radiation and purges all chemicals quickly.
- 30u salbutamol pills. Heals oxyloss safely and lets you survive without air.
- 10u atropine patches. Quickly heals someone who is in crit.
- 0.5u rezadone pills. Instantly removes all cellular damage. Eliminates the need for cryo. Hunt and slaughter space carp or use your Botany skills to grow koibeans for the carpotoxin.
- 10u lipolicide pills. To make fat people slim.
Other things you may want to do[edit | edit source]
- During a disease outbreak, if the cure is something you can produce then make pills of it. Curing can take a random time so aim for pills at least 5u big. If the virologist comes in with a vaccine, then make 0.4u vaccine pills instead. Read more about common cures under here. You can also make the vaccine yourself at the holodeck Emergency Medical program, if you have time.
- Cargo might ask for a 30u bottle of a certain chemical for a bounty.
- Botany can use saltpetre to quickly optimize plant stats, diethylamine/ammonia as fertilizers and a dropper for precise mutations.
- Xenobiology can use radium to make various mutation toxins.
- The Virologist sometimes want more synaptizine to make new and exciting diseases.
- Geneticists can benefit from a supply of potassium iodide or to treat radiation levels in themselves and their subjects.
- The Janitor might want you to refill his space cleaner bottle.
- You can help the Chef replenish the supply of sugar.
- The Bartender might request various chemicals to make cocktails with, though bear in mind that a bartender who wants anything particularly toxic is probably up to no good.
- The Warden might request various chemicals to use in implants for prisoners, to ensure they don't re-offend.
- Grind up snacks to make nutriment or vitamin pills and taunt the Chef about his inefficient creations.
- In the event of a rogue Hulk from genetics rampaging about, a syringe gun loaded with a syringe containing 1 unit mutadone and 14 units chloral hydrate/lexorin will make them very sad.
- In the case of a rogue AI, various people will want thermite in order to break through reinforced walls.
- Rogue AIs in particular go down with a combination of thermite and EMP grenades.
- Enable the reagent scanner on your PDA and test the food and drinks at the bar and kitchen for tampering. This can also be used on people to find out what they've been poisoned with.
- You aren't far from the medbay lobby or the cryogenics, so if there are no Medical Doctors around, feel free to grab a health analyzer and start treating patients.
- The Clown will often request space lube. When this happens you have choice. The recommended choice is to NOT give lube to the clown. Barbers Aid can be used as a prankworthy substitute.
Does pressing five buttons five bajillion times get too boring? Is medbay understaff as
always hell? Do you need to keep a whole ship alive with just a few chems and your two hands? Well then, you need plumbing.
With plumbing - or to be more precise, the plumbing constructor - you can create pipelines that connect into dozens of chemical synthetizers, reaction chambers, pill presses, etc. These machines will synthetize and mix even the most advanced chemicals. You can set up chem factories to output patches into the medical lobby, and no longer bother with the assitants who stubbed their toe. You can set up factories in Munitions to mass produce oil for them. Possibilities: endless, work required: minimal.
Arming thyself[edit | edit source]
- Grab one of the syringe guns in Medbay before the Medical Doctors get them. It's a valuable weapon in your hands when filled with Chloral Hydrate or worse.
- Later in the round, if you've been nice to R&D, and they are competent, they might research "Medical Weaponry", which lets you print a rapid syringe gun from the medical techfab. This can hold six syringes at once.
- A space cleaner spray bottle can be used as a ghetto flamethrower with chlorine trifluoride.
- You have all the tools you need to make grenades.
Grenades[edit | edit source]
As a chemist you have the tools you need to craft chemical grenades. See the grenade guide to learn how to make them. These can be both beneficial and malicious, depending on what chems you put into the two beakers. When the grenade is triggered the two beakers will mix. Typically you want the grenade to result in either smoke or foam containing other chemicals. To learn the differences between smoke and foam, see Smoke vs foam vs others.
Pills and Patches[edit | edit source]
Pills are a great way to give large amount of medicine at once, if you are going to make medicine that will be single serve, make it pill form. Each pill can hold 50 units of material at one time, and up to seven can be stored in a pill bottle! They are even small enough to store in your pockets. Patches are similar to pills, but work in a touch-based way rather than ingestion. Read more about the different ways of applying chemicals under Reagent Delivery.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If there are no chemistry bags available, you can use wirecutters on two bedsheets, activate the resulting cloth in your hand and craft one.
- The effects of chloral hydrate don't work if you drink coffee beforehand. You'll still take damage if the dose was high enough but you don't get knocked out. Coffee usually completely negates chloral hydrate, however.
- The effects of different chemicals stack, as they are all processed individually at the same time.
- Foam and smoke carry reagents. Foam will continuously apply the reagent's vapor effect, while smoke will cause touch effects and repeated ingestion. One can release a synthflesh smoke grenade to heal someone from critical to full health almost instantly, or use a fluorosulfuric acid smoke grenade to make everyone's stuff start melting and deal absolutely decent amounts of damage.
- Grenades are great for everything. Experiment!
- If you go to the chef or break room at round start and grab a heated donk pocket, and then to the chaplain for some holy water (bring a beaker), you now have the stuff to make Strange Reagent, which can literally bring people back from the dead. Laugh at the geneticists as they space themselves after becoming effectively useless. Also, this strange reagent can be diluted with other reagents. It only requires 0.4u of strange reagent to revive someone.
- Strange Reagent can only revive someone with less than 100 brute and 100 burn damage. This does not stack; 99 brute and 99 burn means they can still be revived.
- You don't need a grenade for foam. You can have fluorosurfactant in a beaker and a bottle of equal water. Combine the two to produce grenade-less foam.
- Medbay lobby looking like a chainsaw massacre? Let loose some space cleaner foam and watch as medical bay is magically cleaned and the janitor infuriated.
Tips for Antagonizing[edit | edit source]
- Some chemicals deal absolutely amazing damage. If you fill a spray bottle with chlorine trifluoride, you will literally spray fire.
- You can put pretty much put any deadly chemical into patches. Make some fluorosulfuric acid patches labeled "Synthflesh," or put some chlorine trifluoride and phlogiston into a patch and anyone who uses it will be lit on fire instantly with no way of putting themselves out without an extinguisher or space.
- Sulfonal is chloral hydrate, but needs more preparation, takes longer to act, and takes WAY longer to stop acting. Put sulfonal and cyanide into a beaker in equal parts, and you have a kill mix that gives someone about 45 seconds of awake time before they drop and don't get back up, provided you drag them to a safe place to die.
- If you're a traitor, you can pray to trade your telecrystals for a chem sprayer. If the admins are
absolutely fucking insanenice, they'll give you a tool which can hold 300 units of any chemical. You can start cackling now.
- Make a foam grenade with fluorosulfuric, chlorine trifluoride, space lube, and phlogiston. You now have a server-lagging, hull-breach causing, people-obliterating grenade full of liquid holocaust. Drop it behind you during a security chase and laugh as your pursuers fall into it and have their gear melted away before dying instantly from the acid.
- Some of the Bartender's drinks are very powerful. If you combine the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster with morphine, it will give you Neurotoxin, which will mess up anyone hit with it.
- If you emag a service borg, they can produce infinite amounts of "beer" that will put someone to sleep when they ingest it.
- If you can somehow get lethal syringes from Security, they hold fifty units and fit in syringe guns. You can have much more powerful deathmixes if you use one of these, but try not to miss as they cannot be replaced!
- If researched, you can print piercing syringes from the medical techfab. These can hold 10u and will penetrate hardsuits.
- Later you can print bluespace syringes from the medical techfab, which can hold 60u.
- Do not underestimate the power of foam. Even with no reagents, it can provide a barrier and prevent people from getting by without slipping.
- "Accidentally" leave some fluorosulfuric acid in the cryo tubes. Unattentive doctors will just flick it on and walk away as the patient dies screaming. Expect to be lynched, however.
- You can make drugs like methamphetamine to move very fast and have stun reduction in combat, but only take small amounts.
- Traitors can buy a poison kit. This box contains ten bottles of horrible poisons that are also very effective in killing people.
- Sleepy pens can be refilled with any chemicals.
Chemical-X[edit | edit source]
Chemistry is one of the jobs with the highest harmful potential. With some planning, you can make many different gimmicks as a traitor chemist. A LOT of the chemicals you have access to will kill when injected. Access to grenades is a plus. Search around or experiment for better "hellfoam" and "hellsmoke" mixes.
If you want to make something grand and spectacular though, consider crafting and learning how to use a chemical payload.