Guide to Research and Development
Research & Development[edit | edit source]
- R&D (not to be confused with the RD) consists of scientists spending (mostly) automatically generated research points on a tech web to unlock technology that can be used for various departments.
- Essentially this means that a scientist in this modern world doesn't actually have to know any of the concepts he's working with; it's all about pressing science buttons and playing with the resulting toys! Ain't life grand?
How 2 Gain More Points: 4 Dummies[edit | edit source]
Astrometry[edit | edit source]
Astrometrics is the science of the stars, and it may just be the easiest way to gain additional points.
Asrometrics, at its base level, is quick and simple. All you need to do is find the Astrometrics computer - a blue computer usually in the R&D lab- and start scanning star sectors. This can be done by clicking on the computer, and selecting a sector to scan. This will take quite some time, but when its finished, the computer will announce it over the sci radio
in a scary robotic voice.
Once you have a sector scanned, you can select any of the celestial bodies in that sector to, once again, scan. These celestial bodies could be stars, wormholes, etc. Once you finish scanning these, you will receive a hefty sum of research points, and move on to scan more stars and more systems.
Wormholes[edit | edit source]
Wormholes are the really fun things in Astrometrics. Wormholes can be found in systems just like stars, but are much more rare, and give more research points.
Even more interestingly, wormholes can be probed with a specially created torpedo. First, the torpedo warhead has to be researched and created by Science, than it needs to be assembled by Munitions, then it needs to be fired at a wormhole by the Bridge Staff. These warheads are pretty costly, so hope that they hit their stationary target first time
Once a probe torp enters a wormhole, the ship will receive a special announcement, congratulating you on your advances in science, and be gien special Wormhole research points. These points - not unlike Nanite points - can be used to develop special techs that allow the ship to FTL travel faster, or go through Wormholes.
R&D Servers[edit | edit source]
But you can't slap them on wherever: servers create heat and hot servers can actually negatively impact your research. Luckily, on most maps you can easily find
toxins a room that you can convert into a cooler using some pipes, a freezer or a space cooling loop and build a number of additional servers. With 10 more of them, you could produce a sizeable 8000-9000 research points per minute!
floor space sky's the limit, the tech tree is limited, and while you could make enough servers to get 50k points per minute, the round will be over by the time you could scrounge up enough metal, and the tech tree finished 10 minutes after you complete them, so there's little point in doing it. 6 servers now are better than 20 after an hour.
Note: sadly, you can not just build servers over open space: they need an atmosphere to take heat out of them.
Tachyon-Doppler Array[edit | edit source]
Toxins bombs detonated at the test site generate points through the Tachyon-Doppler Research Array which records the size of the blast. Somehow this generates points. After a change 2018 the maximum amount of points you can get from a bomb and round is 50 000.
- The formula returns the delta between the total points generated and the points that would be generated by the bomb. The above graph statically applies whether you detonate the smaller bomb first or last, the downside being that improving your bomb will still reward you but with significantly less points than before. A maxcap bomb (purple), and a 700 (red) and 1000 (orange) radius bomb are marked on the graph with horizontal lines.
Radiation Collectors/Tesla Corona Analyzers[edit | edit source]
- Radiation Collectors can be set to generate research points instead of power, if the engineers are bored and you're already rolling in power. Radiation collectors require a mix of tritium and oxygen to produce research points. These gasses are consumed at a very rapid pace when the rad collector is in research point production mode. Work together with science or atmos techs to increase the station's research point production at the temporary cost of power production. For reference, one room temperature tank with 50% tritium, 50% oxygen will produce a total of 50 research points with the most frequently used supermatter setup. More radiation will increase the rate at which research points are generated, and packing more moles of both gasses into the tank will increase the amount of time a rad collector will be able to generate research points.
- Tesla Coronas (a variant of tesla coils) can be set using a screwdriver on the circut board to generate research points instead of power, if the engineers are bored and you're already rolling in power. Unlike the radiation collector, it simply generates research points through electricity striking the object, not through variable gas mixtures. This means that although the Tesla Corona generates points more reliably, you don't have as many ways to increase the actual amount of points generated.
Tech Webs[edit | edit source]
Research points are generated at a static rate by the R&D Network (albeit more research points can be generated by the various means, as shown above) and can be spent on Technology Nodes at the console.
This is what your console will look like at the start of the round.
Simply click into any of the technologies to see what it requires and what it unlocks. The number next to each technology represents its cost. To unlock a technology, click the cost to spend your research points on it.
The console will update the screen to reflect your new research and send out a notification in chat.
At the start of a round, if you don't have any other research directives you should strongly consider aiming for:
- Industrial Engineering
- Applied Bluespace Research
- Mining Technology and Advanced Mining Technology
- Tier 3 stock part technologies (High Efficiency Parts, Advanced Electromagnetic Theory, Applied Bluespace Research, and Advanced Power Manipulation)
- Mining sensor and magnet upgrades
Industrial Engineering is available as soon as you get your first 7500 research points, unlocks tier 2 stock parts for machine upgrades, and unlocks the RPED. It's also a pre-requisite for ALL of the other research items suggested here, so it's probably a good idea to consider doing it first of all. Possibly the biggest benefit for Science from this technology is that that someone can grab an RPED and go update Cargo's Ore Redemption Machine (ORM) immediately after finishing this topic. If the ORM is upgraded before the miners bring back their first load, then right off the bat ore gathered increases 35% and miners get 35% more points to spend on directly upgrading their mining equipment... which ultimately helps them bring in more ore for Science!
Mining Technology and, later, Advanced Mining Technology will give mining the tools needed to bring back much more ore to stock your protolathe. That makes these high-priority topics for most rounds. To research Mining Technology (2500) requires Industrial Engineering (7500) first, then Basic Plasma Research (2500). Advanced Mining Technology requires a bit more work and you will research most of the tier 3 stock parts or their prereqs on your journey to researching it.
Applied Bluespace Research allows miners to get Mining Satchels of Holding and also opens up the Bluespace RPED, which makes machine upgrades (your responsibility!) trivial. This technology is available for 5000 research points after unlocking first-tier research topics Industrial Engineering (7500) and Basic Bluespace Theory (2500). This is also a Tier 3 stock part technology.
The Tier 3 stock part technologies are listed above.
- Applied Bluespace Research (5000) requires Industrial Engineering (7500) and Basic Bluespace Theory (2500). It is also a good topic to research for you and mining, as mentioned above.
- High Efficiency Parts (7500) requires Industrial Engineering (7500) and the basic research topic Data Theory (2500).
- Advanced Electromagnetic Theory (3000) ONLY requires Electromagnetic Theory (2500), but you are basically spending 5500 points just for laser parts (which let the ORM generate more mining points for miners.)
- Advanced Power Manipulation (2500) is the only one immediately available after researching Industrial Engineering (7500).
Mining sensors and magnet upgrades are two very costly but overall worth-while techs. They allow the miners to upgrade their DRADIS and Mineral Magnet, allowing them to get more and better asteroids, and thus more and better materials for you.
Explosive and Pyrotechnical Weaponry opens up nodes that, once researched, allows Munitions to build new guns for the ship.
Certain round circumstances may call for different research early on, talk to your fellow scientists and listen to your Research Director!
The progression is not linear and many research options require multiple pre-requisite technologies.
|Click here to view the techtree|
The nodes with this colour scheme are not avaible round start. You will need to deconstruct either Syndicate or Abductor tech to unlock these, or their prerequisits: Alien Tech and Illegal Tech.
Deconstruction[edit | edit source]
- Sync the Destructive Analyzer to the research computer if it's not synced.
- Insert an item into it.
- Use the computer.
The computer will show you the name of the object, if it unlocks any tech nodes, and how many materials you get from deconstruction.
The Destructive Analyzer will recover a portion of the materials contained inside scanned items and transfer it to a connected protolathe. Upgrading it will increase the amount recovered.
Construction[edit | edit source]
See here how to build machines out of the components you discover. This is where advanced technology you discovered by increasing tech trees will be made. Nothing exciting at first can be built, but you will get increasingly more fun devices as tech trees increase. You will unlock items for the Exosuit Fabricator as well.
Upgrading Machines[edit | edit source]
All machines are composed of components. There are better versions of many components, attained through research. They are organized in 4 tiers, and upgrading the tier of a machine's components will have different effects for each machine.
Without minerals, you can achieve up to tier 2-3; to go further you'll require ores for production.
Tier 2 parts are all unlocked with "Industrial Engineering," which also unlocks the RPED. Others are unlocked as noted.
1: Unlocked with High Efficiency Parts
2: Unlocked with Advanced Electromagnetic Theory
3: Unlocked with Applied Bluespace Research
4: Unlocked with Advanced Power Manipulation
5: Unlocked with Miniaturized Bluespace Research
6: Unlocked with Quantum Electromagnetic Technology
7: Unlocked with Bluespace Power Technology
Once you unlock advanced components, people around the station will probably want you to upgrade the machinery. Overall, the process is simply replacing obsolete stock parts with higher-tier parts.
The least efficient way is to upgrade by hand. Since the RPED unlocks at the same time as tier 2 parts, there's really no reason to ever do this unless your station for some incomprehensible reason just can't afford an RPED.
- Screwdriver on the machine.
- Crowbar on the machine.
- Take the board and re-insert it into machine.
- Insert parts you want to use.
- Screwdriver the machine closed.
As a much more efficient alternative, you can use RPED (Rapid Part Exchange Device), which unlocks with the Industrial Engineering topic. That is, the RPED unlocks as soon as you actually have your first upgraded parts, so you should pretty much always be upgrading with an RPED. The RPED replaces each component in a machine with the highest component of its tier that's loaded in the RPED.
- Load RPED with parts, such as stock parts, loaded power cells, beakers and vendor restocking units.
- Screwdriver on the machine.
- Click on it with RPED.
- Screwdriver again to close the machine.
The best alternative is to use the even more advanced Bluespace Rapid Part Exchange Device (BRPED), which functions just like an RPED except that you don't need access to the machine, screwdrivers, or even adjacency! That's right: BRPED works even through camera views. Consider building a camera console in R&D once you have a BRPED instead of running all over the station. This device is unlocked with Applied Bluespace Research and operates as follows:
- Load Bluespace RPED with parts, such as stock parts, loaded power cells, beakers and vendor restocking units.
- Click on the machine to upgrade with the Bluespace RPED. That's it! No screwdrivering or asking the AI or people to open doors into their departments.
Printing[edit | edit source]
Here in the future, everything is made by basically very advanced 3D printers. These machines print everything and anything using advanced materials. These materials are drained from the Ore Silo, which is filled by Miners at the ORM. If a new machine is needed, it can be linked by using a multitool on the silo, then on the machine.
As newer techs are researched, the printers technology needs to be synced with the R&D servers, by pressing the button named "Synchronise Research".
Exosuit Fabricator[edit | edit source]
- Robotics starts with two of these. This machine will build everything a roboticist needs to do his job, aside from circuits. To update its research levels:
- Sync the R&D Research Console.
- Sync the Robotics Research Console.
- Sync the Exosuit Fabricator.
- Can be used directly, without the Research Console.
Items available from the start:
|Odysseus chassis||Odysseus||EXOSUIT: Odysseus||20000|
|Odysseus torso||Odysseus||EXOSUIT: Odysseus||12000|
|Odysseus head||Odysseus||EXOSUIT: Odysseus||6000||10000|
|Odysseus left arm||Odysseus||EXOSUIT: Odysseus||6000|
|Odysseus right arm||Odysseus||EXOSUIT: Odysseus||6000|
|Odysseus left leg||Odysseus||EXOSUIT: Odysseus||7000|
|Odysseus right leg||Odysseus||EXOSUIT: Odysseus||7000|
|Gygax chassis||Gygax||EXOSUIT: Gygax||20000|
|Gygax torso||Gygax||EXOSUIT: Gygax||20000||10000||2000|
|Gygax head||Gygax||EXOSUIT: Gygax||10000||5000||2000|
|Gygax left arm||Gygax||EXOSUIT: Gygax||15000||1000|
|Gygax right arm||Gygax||EXOSUIT: Gygax||15000||1000|
|Gygax left leg||Gygax||EXOSUIT: Gygax||15000||2000|
|Gygax right leg||Gygax||EXOSUIT: Gygax||15000||2000|
|Gygax armor plates||Gygax||EXOSUIT: Gygax||15000||10000||10000|
|Durand chassis||Durand||EXOSUIT: Durand||25000|
|Durand torso||Durand||EXOSUIT: Durand||25000||10000||10000|
|Durand head||Durand||EXOSUIT: Durand||10000||15000||2000|
|Durand left arm||Durand||EXOSUIT: Durand||10000||4000|
|Durand right arm||Durand||EXOSUIT: Durand||10000||4000|
|Durand left leg||Durand||EXOSUIT: Durand||15000||4000|
|Durand right leg||Durand||EXOSUIT: Durand||15000||4000|
|Durand armor plates||Durand||EXOSUIT: Durand||30000||25000||20000|
|H.O.N.K. chassis||H.O.N.K.||Clown Technology||20000|
|H.O.N.K. torso||H.O.N.K.||Clown Technology||20000||10000||10000|
|H.O.N.K. head||H.O.N.K.||Clown Technology||10000||5000||5000|
|H.O.N.K. left arm||H.O.N.K.||Clown Technology||15000||5000|
|H.O.N.K. right arm||H.O.N.K.||Clown Technology||15000||5000|
|H.O.N.K. left leg||H.O.N.K.||Clown Technology||20000||5000|
|H.O.N.K. right leg||H.O.N.K.||Clown Technology||20000||5000|
|Phazon chassis||Phazon||EXOSUIT: Phazon||20000|
|Phazon torso||Phazon||EXOSUIT: Phazon||35000||10000||20000|
|Phazon head||Phazon||EXOSUIT: Phazon||15000||5000||10000|
|Phazon left arm||Phazon||EXOSUIT: Phazon||20000||10000|
|Phazon right arm||Phazon||EXOSUIT: Phazon||20000||10000|
|Phazon left leg||Phazon||EXOSUIT: Phazon||20000||10000|
|Phazon right leg||Phazon||EXOSUIT: Phazon||20000||10000|
|Phazon armor||Phazon||EXOSUIT: Phazon||25000||20000||20000|
|File:PBT "Pacifier" mounted taser.png||Pacifier mounted taser||Exosuit Equip||PBT "Pacifier" Mounted Taser||10000|
|Ultra AC 2 LMG||Exosuit Equip||"Ultra AC 2" LMG||10000|
|Mounted Sleeper||Exosuit Equip||Medical Exosuit Equipment||5000||10000|
|Exosuit Syringe Gun||Exosuit Equip||Medical Exosuit Equipment||3000||2000|
|Exosuit Medical Beamgun||Exosuit Equip||Medical Exosuit Equipment||15000||8000||3000||8000||2000|
|SGL-6 grenade launcher||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Weapon (SGL-6 Grenade Launcher)||22000||8000||6000|
|Diamond-tipped exosuit drill||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Diamond Drill||10000||6500|
|Exosuit plasma converter||Exosuit Equip||Basic Plasma Research||10000||1000||5000||1000|
|Exonuclear reactor||Exosuit Equip||Simple Exosuit Modules||10000||1000||500|
|File:LBX AC 10 "Scattershot".png||LBX AC 10 "Scattershot"||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Weapon (LBX AC 10 "Scattershot")||10000|
|File:FNX-99 "Hades" carbine.png||FNX-99 "Hades" carbine||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Weapon (FNX-99 "Hades" Carbine)||10000|
|MKIV Ion Heavy Cannon||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Weapon (MKIV Ion Heavy Cannon)||20000||6000||2000|
|MKI Tesla Cannon||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Weapon (MKI Tesla Cannon)||20000||8000|
|Reactive armor booster module||Exosuit Equip||Simple Exosuit Modules||20000||5000|
|Reflective armor booster module||Exosuit Equip||Simple Exosuit Modules||20000||5000|
|SRM-8 missile rack||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Weapon (SRM-8 Missile Rack)||22000||8000||6000|
|Mounted wormhole generator||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Module (Localized Wormhole Generator)||10000|
|File:CH-LC "Solaris" laser cannon.png||CH-PS "Immolator" laser||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Weapon (CH-PS "Immolator" Laser)||10000|
|SOB-3 clusterbang launcher||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Module (SOB-3 Clusterbang Launcher)||20000||10000||10000|
|Mounted gravitational catapult||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Module (Gravitational Catapult Module)||10000|
|Exosuit repair droid||Exosuit Equip||Advanced Exosuits||10000||5000||2000||1000|
|File:CH-LC "Solaris" laser cannon.png||CH-LC "Solaris" laser cannon||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Weapon (CH-LC "Solaris" Laser Cannon)||10000|
|Mounted RCD||Exosuit Equip||Advanced Exosuit Equipment||30000||25000||20000||20000|
|217-D Heavy Plasma Cutter||Exosuit Equip||Advanced Plasma Research||8000||1000||2000|
|Tesla energy relay||Exosuit Equip||Simple Exosuit Modules||10000||2000||3000||2000|
|Mounted teleporter||Exosuit Equip||Exosuit Module (Teleporter Module)||10000||10000|
|Mousetrap mortar||Exosuit Equip||Clown Technology||20000||5000|
|Banana mortar||Exosuit Equip||Clown Technology||20000||5000|
|HoNkER BlAsT 5000||Exosuit Equip||Clown Technology||20000||10000|
|Cyborg VTEC||Borg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Combat||35000||12000||10000|
|Cyborg Ion Thrusters||Borg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Utility||10000||6000||5000||6000|
|Rapid Disabler Cooling Module||Borg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Combat||20000||6000||2000||2000|
|Cyborg Diamond Drill||Borg Upgr||Advanced Robotics Research||10000||2000|
|Cyborg Ore Satchel of Holding||Borg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Utility||10000||6000||2000||1000|
|Mining Cyborg Lavaproof Tracks||Borg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Utility||10000||4000||5000|
|Cyborg Self-Repair||Borg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Utility||15000||15000|
|Illegal equipment module||Borg Upgr||Illegal Technology||15000||15000||10000|
|Clown Module||Borg Upgr||Clown Technology||15000||15000||1000|
|Hypospray Expanded Synthesiser||Borg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Medical||15000||15000||8000||8000|
|Piercing Hypospray||Borg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Medical||15000||15000||8000||3000||5000|
|Defibrillator||Borg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Medical||8000||5000||4000||3000|
|Surgical Processor||Borg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Medical||5000||4000||4000|
|Trash Bag of Holding||Borg Upgr||Advanced Robotics Research||2000||1000|
|Advanced Mop||Borg Upgr||Advanced Robotics Research||2000||2000|
|Expand||Borg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Utility||200000||5000|
|Engineering Cyborg RPED||Cyborg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Utility||10000||5000|
|Crew Pinpointer||Cyborg Upgr||Cyborg Upgrades: Medical||1000||500|
|High-capacity power cell||Misc||Industrial Engineering||700||60|
|Super-capacity power cell||Misc||Advanced Power Manipulation||700||70|
|Hyper-capacity power cell||Misc||Advanced Power Manipulation||700||80||150||150|
|Bluespace power cell||Misc||Bluespace Power Technology||800||160||120||160||300||100|
|Positronic Brain||Misc||Positronic Brain||1700||1350||500|
|B.O.R.I.S. AI-Cyborg Remote Control Module||Misc||Artificial Intelligence||1200||1500||200|
|AI Control Beacon||Misc||Artificial Intelligence||1000||500||200|
Circuit Imprinter[edit | edit source]
- The Circuit Imprinter requires glass and occasionally gold or diamond. Here you will find circuits for most of the station's machinery and robotics' exosuits. With gold and diamonds, you can also make AI law modules.
- Information on how to construct machines is available at the Guide to advanced construction.
- Circuits cost 1000 glass each, becoming cheaper with upgrades.
Protolathe[edit | edit source]
- The departmental Protolathe requires materials such as metal, glass and mineable minerals. Each sheet gives 2000 units when inserted into a Protolathe or its connected Ore Silo. It allows you to build objects such as stock parts, power cells and much more, depending on department.
- Building 5 or 10 of the same item is faster than building it one at a time for 10 times; if you need lots of a particular item, mass produce them!
This content needs to be revised!
Reason: Needs the new fighter 3.0 stuff.
Techfab[edit | edit source]
- The departmental Techfabs are circuit imprinters and departmental protolathes combined, except their available circuit boards differ depending on their department.