Virology 101[edit | edit source]
The first, and most important way to prevent 99% of infections, is proper hazard wear, and knowing how to keep the infection from spreading.
The Clothes[edit | edit source]
The following will protect you, from the dangerous infections of space, each giving more and more (till total) protection against infection:
- Level-3 Bio Hood
- Level-3 Bio Suit
- Jumpsuit (virologist, CMO, geneticist, chemist, doctor, nurse suit, scrubs, Research Director)
- Latex Gloves
- Sterile mask
- Shoes (White shoes and Galoshes are the best)
- Private (clean) Internals
Isolation[edit | edit source]
If you or another crew member is infected, do not spread the infection further. Seek the isolation bay of the medical wing, or head to a room no one will enter but yourself and other infected.
Sterilization[edit | edit source]
Cleaning blood spills from the ground will prevent contact contamination, make sure blood is cleaned from the floor at all time. Any blood splatter out there could hold a dreaded space infection. Contact a janitor if you see blood on the floor, do not interact with the blood if you suspect possible infection chance. Any object or floor that has infected blood on it can infect anyone who handles or touches it.
Methods of Infection[edit | edit source]
The following are the various ways a disease can spread, keep this in mind at all times:
- Airborne - The most dangerous and quick spreading, if you are anywhere within the breathing area of the infected crew member, you have a chance to be infected.
- Direct Contact - Requires you to touch, been touched, or be extremely close to the source of the infection. The infection will be spread by the skin and bodily fluids of an infected person, but will not survive long in the air.
- Blood - The infection will be spread by the bodily fluids of the infected person.
- Special - The disease is not normally contagious and the affected crewman has been infected by a non-human vector source. You can work with the infected without risk yourself unless they expose you to the same vector source that infected them.
Curing an infection[edit | edit source]
Every infection is vulnerable to one substance (or combination of two). To find it, you can put an infected blood sample in the PanD.E.M.I.C 2200 machine or use a health analyzer on an infected patient. Administering the substance to the patient (may require multiple injections) should cure him. Alternatively, if you have produced a vaccine, a simple injection should cure the patient.
PanD.E.M.I.C 2200[edit | edit source]
This machine creates vaccines from the blood of people who have been cured.
- Take a blood sample with a syringe.
- Place sample into a beaker or bottle.
- Load beaker into machine.
- Select vaccine you wish to have.
- Take vaccine bottle it produces.
- Reveals the cure to any infected blood sample without needing to inject a living creature.
- Shows the stats and symptoms of a virus
Viral Extrapolator[edit | edit source]
The viral extrapolator is a bulky, slow device, used to scan and extract diseases on the go. It has two modes, which can be toggled by using it in-hand
Scan 16px tells you what diseases are held within the target, if any, what symptoms they have, and what stage they are at.
Extract 16px can be used to harvest an advance disease from the target. If used on a culture bottle, it can be used to isolate a single symptom. The extrapolator takes twenty seconds to extract a disease, and one minute to isolate a symptom. There is a two minute cooldown before the extrapolator can be reused. It cannot isolate symptoms of a level higher than seven.
Upgrading the extrapolator:
By using a screwdriver on the extrapolator, you can remove its scanning module. Replacing it with a higher tier scanning module significantly lowers its cooldown and use times, as well as allowing isolation of higher level symptoms.
Symptom hunting: Some objects can contain trace samples of the disease that the extrapolator can make into a culture. Many of these start with random diseases at roundstart, and can be harvested. This is the primary source of level nine symptoms. These items are as follows:
- Bloodstains. Only dried blood or old gibs will spawn with diseases.
- Vomit. Only crusty, dried vomit will spawn with diseases.
- Syringes. Only used syringes, found in maint, will spawn with diseases
- Mice and rats.
- Any item a sentient disease has used Secrete Infection on
- The glands of Wumborian Fugu always have a disease containing Pituitary Disruption
- Vector, the virologist's pet hamster, always has an extractable disease.
- Blob Spores created by the Blob Spores symptom always have the disease that spawned them
- Macrophages always contain the disease that spawned them.
Infection Listings[edit | edit source]
Thankfully, humanity has managed to cure and eliminate almost all of the diseases that plagued its infancy. However, the vast reaches of space have been found to harbor new illnesses that can affect the unprepared staff on Nanotrasen research stations. The following diseases are Simple Diseases that cannot be affected by the PanD.E.M.I.C 2200 or a Viral Extrapolator, and have no stats or symptoms.
|Disease Name||Vector Name||Source||Description||Spread||Cure|
|Alien Parasite||Xenomorph||Alien||A facehugger has implanted an embryo inside of the body of the victim, which will grow until it kills and destroys the body while spawning a larva.||Special||Surgery|
|Zombie Infection||Romerol||Syndicate Uplink||A rare infection, which lies dormant in the victim. If the victim dies before it is cured, it will rise as an aggressive zombie, who will then transfer the infection to anyone it manages to scratch. The infection consists in a tumor located inside the head.||Special||Surgery|
|Brain Rot||Cryptococcus Cosmosis||Virus crate, random events||An infection that causes mental degradation.||Contact||Mannitol|
|Cold||XY-Rhinovirus||Virology, random events||Still around since the dawn of man, this disease is relatively harmless, causing fatigue and a runny nose. Will progress to the Flu when untreated.||Airborne||Rest and Spaceacillin|
|Cold 9||ICE9-Rhinovirus||Admin fuckery||A rare disease that will progressively lower the victim's body temperature in addition to respiratory symptoms.||Contact||Spaceacillin|
|Flu||H13N1 Flu Viron||Virology, random events||A common illness, causes fatigue, high fever, and muscle toxicity. Rarely fatal, quickly spread.||Airborne||Spaceacillin|
|Anxiety||Excess Lepidopticides||Virus crate||Will cause feelings of anxiety and cause the victim to cough butterflies.||Contact||Ethanol|
|GBS||Gravitokinetic Bipotential SADS+||Admin fuckery||An extremely dangerous illness caused by contagious micro-singularities that will cause the human body to be torn apart from the inside. The initial phase begins in the lungs and mimics flu symptoms.||Contact||Sulfur and Synaptizine|
|Jungle Fever||Kongey Vibrion M-909||Admin fuckery||One of the most feared diseases in the galaxy, this is a disease carried by primates. A single bite or scratch is enough to fully infect a human. The result is spontaneous genetic reversion, and the affected individual will also become a monkey.||Special||Bananas, Death Squad|
|Magnitis||Fukkos Miracos||Virus crate, random events||An infection of magnetic bacteria that build up in the body. As the disease progresses any metallic items not bolted down near the infected person will be pulled toward them, even objects as large as canisters. Ingested iron will draw the bacteria to it and allow them to be excreted normally.||Contact||Iron|
|Pierrot's Throat||H0NI<42 Virus||Virus crate, random events||A brain disease that was brought back with the original explorers of Clown Planet that damages the basal ganglia, victims will have an uncontrollable urge to HONK.||Airborne||Bananas|
|Retrovirus||N/A||Admin fuckery||A DNA-altering retrovirus that will constantly mutate the genetic code of the host. Symptoms vary wildly from blindness to incredible fits of strength and green skin.||Contact||Rest or Mutadone|
|Space Retrovirus||S4E1 Retrovirus||Random events||A DNA-altering retrovirus that will copy the DNA of the first infected and apply it to every other infected.||Contact||Mutadone|
|Robotic Transformation||R2D2 Nanomachines||Roburgers, odd pizzas||A rare infection that slowly transforms the infected into a cyborg.||Special||Copper|
|Spanish Flu||1nqu1s1t10n Flu Viron||Admin fuckery||A rare and deadly form of flu that causes an incredibly high fever. Those infected will die of internal burns without treatment or religious conversion.||Airborne||Spaceacillin|
|Wizarditis||Rincewindus Vulgaris||Hacked MagiVend||A rare illness, causes spontaneous robe growth, randomly speaking incantations, and finally random teleportation.||Airborne||Manly Dorf|
|Xenomorphic Transformation||Rip-LEY Alien Microbes||Admin fuckery||A rare infection caused by xeno-microbes, changing the infected's DNA to that of a xenomorph. Symptoms include severe pain and progressive insanity.||Special||Glycerol and Spaceacillin|
|Heart Disease||N/A||Random event||The game categorizes it as a virus, and it progresses in stages, like a virus, so it's listed here.||N/A||Corazone, Electric Shocks, Heart Replacement Surgery|
|Fungal Tuberculosis||Fungal Tubercle bacillus Cosmosis||Nuke Ops Uplink, Strange Seeds||A rare highly transmittable virulent virus. Few samples exist, rumoured to be carefully grown and cultured by clandestine bio-weapon specialists. Causes fever, vomiting, lung damage, weight loss, and fatigue.||Airborne||Salbutamol and Spaceacillin|
|Gondola Transformation||Tranquility||Raw Gondola meat||Consuming the flesh of a Gondola comes at a terrible price. Produces Pax within the victims body resulting in pacifism, lessened motor control of the arms, and eventually turning the victim into a Gondola.||Special||Condensed Capsaicin|
Advanced Diseases[edit | edit source]
You are able to create your own advance disease with different symptoms, which will have buffs, debuffs and bonuses!
You will start out with two advance diseases, the cold and the flu. The cold will have the sneeze symptom and the flu will have the cough symptom. They have almost no effect if they infect people, but you need them to acquire more symptoms.
The Pandemic can create culture bottles (basically copies) of existing viruses, so you won't run out while experimenting.
Multiple Diseases[edit | edit source]
A person has three slots for advanced diseases, with a fourth slot for sentient diseases. The slot a disease fits into is determined by Severity. If a disease tries to occupy an already occupied slot, and its transmission is higher than the resistance of the disease already in the slot, it will drive the disease out and take its place
Modifying Symptoms[edit | edit source]
To obtain a new symptom you need to mutate an existing virus. This involves adding a chemical to the virus, which will generate a new symptom. Rarer and harder to acquire chemicals will yield more potent symptoms. You will start with enough chemicals to create a powerful disease, as long as you use them carefully. You can also insert an isolated symptom into your main virus, by moving 1 unit of the isolated culture to the main mix with a dropper. It will not work every time and may need to be repeated a few times.
Basic chemicals[edit | edit source]
These are the basic chemicals for virus mutation. These can be added to a culture to gain a symptom from a large pool- but it's about half as efficient as mixing advanced chemicals.
- Virus Food: You can make virus food with Water and Milk. Virology lab has its own Virus Food Dispenser. Mixing this with a disease will give that disease a symptom of level 1 to 2. Pure virus food is the only way to get level 2 symptoms, so, unlike plasma and mutagen, it is useful alone.
- Unstable Mutagen: You can use mutagen to mutate your disease and give it a symptom of level 2 to 4. Virology starts with a 30u bottle of mutagen.
- Liquid Plasma: Plasma can be used to mutate your disease to give it a symptom of level 4 to 6. Plasma in liquid form is generally in very limited supply, unless mining and chemistry cooperates with you. Virology starts with a 30u bottle of liquid plasma, and in some station layouts with extra plasma bars.
Using these will allow you to both save time and resources when trying to acquire the symptoms you want.
- Anomalous Virus Food: Anomalous Virus Food can be used to mutate your disease and give it a level 0 symptom. It is made by combining pure Laughter with virus food. Level 0 symptoms tend to be statistically similar to other symptoms, but have an unusual effect- good for gimmicks!
- Virus rations: Virus rations can be used to mutate your disease and give it a level 1 symptom. It is made by depleting Virus food with Synaptizine. Level 1 symptoms almost universally boost stats, but have very little effect. Level 2 symptoms tend to be a bit better, so it's wise to leave virus food as-is.
- Mutagenic Agar: Mutagenic agar can be used to mutate your disease to give it a level 3 symptom. It is made by mixing Unstable mutagen and virus food together. Level three symptoms tend to be either decent stat-boosters, or subpar active symptoms.
- Sucrose Agar: Sucrose agar can be used to mutate your disease to give it a level 4 symptom. It is made by mixing Sugar or Saline Glucose Solution and Mutagenic agar together. Level four symptoms are quite weak, so there is very little point to mixing this.
- Weakened Virus Plasma: Weakened virus plasma can be used to mutate your disease and give it a level 5 symptom. It is made by weakening virus plasma using Synaptizine. Level 5 symptoms tend to be some of the strongest stat symptoms
- Virus Plasma: Virus plasma can be used to mutate your disease and give it a level 6 symptom. It is made by mixing liquid plasma with virus food. Level 6 symptoms are the strongest active symptoms available without uranium or Highly Unstable Virus Food
- Advanced Virus Food: Highly Unstable Virus Food can be used to mutate your disease and give it a level 9 symptom. You only get one unit, which is inert until a single uranium sheet's worth of uranium is added, but every single level nine symptom is powerful in its own way. The symptom you get will likely define the disease you make on any given round. Highly unstable virus food was removed, and replaced with the viral extrapolator.
Uranium Gels[edit | edit source]
These chemicals require large quantities of liquid uranium (obtained by grinding uranium bars). You'll require the help of mining to make these.
- Decaying Uranium Gel: Decaying Uranium Gel can be used to mutate your disease and give it a level 6 or 7 symptom. It is made by combining 1 virus food with 1 liquid Uranium. Efficient compared to Unstable gel, but slower to use.
- Unstable Uranium Gel: Unstable Uranium Gel can be used to mutate your disease and give it a level 7 symptom. It is made by combining 1 virus plasma with 5 liquid Uranium. Level 7 symptoms contain potent stat symptoms, and several esoteric symptoms.
- Stable Uranium Gel: Stable Uranium Gel can be used to mutate your disease and give it a level 8 symptom. It is made by combining 1 plasma with 10 parts liquid Uranium and 10 parts liquid silver or gold. Level 8 symptoms contain some of the most potent healing symptoms, as well as some very difficult to deal with deadly symptoms.
Synaptizine, aside from being a base chemical, will remove one random symptom to any virus it comes in contact with. It's important if you intend to isolate a specific symptom. For example, if you mutate your Cold virus and it acquires the Toxic Filter symptom, you can try and add synaptizine to it to create a virus which only has the Toxic Filter symptom.
Spaceacillin will "Falter" a disease, making it unable to spread by any method but injection. Good for meme diseases, or if you wanna meet a transmission threshold without fucking everyone over
Cryostylane will Preserve a disease, making it unable to be mutated any further. If you finish a disease, you should Preserve it so it can't be edited, and so multiple diseases of different severity can be loaded into one bottle
Formaldehyde will neuter one random symptom when mixed with a virus. This disables its effects while keeping the attributes intact. This is useful for meeting threshold values without making the virus deadly. NEUTER YOUR STAT SYMPTOMS, ALWAYS. UNLESS IT'S SOMETHING WITH AN EFFECT YOU ACTIVELY USE, ALL AN UNNEUTERED STAT SYMPTOM WILL DO, EVEN IF THE DISEASE IS INTENTIONALLY DEADLY, IS MAKE THE DISEASE GET NOTICED FASTER, AND, SCARE PEOPLE IF YOUR DISEASE IS GOOD, PROBABLY GETTING YOU LYNCHED. NEUTER YOUR FUCKING SYMPTOMS. YES, FEVER AND ITCHING CAN DO SLIGHT DAMAGE. NEUTER THEM ANYWAYS, DAMMIT
BABBY'S FIRST VIRUS[edit | edit source]
|Eyre I, the Virologist says:|
"Psst, hey kid. Over here. Look at you, still fresh off the arrivals shuttle. Take the biosuit off, it'll only slow you down. Listen up- I'm here to teach ya exactly how to get robust at Virology, provided you can wrap your head around some simple concepts. I've hijacked this outdated nanotrasen standard-issue virology guide to teach YOU how to be a better Virologist than those Nanotrasen quacks!"
Alright, since most people can't seem to grasp it: Virology is fucking SLOW! So this means you're gonna want to do a few things to make it faster!
1. Know what virus you want to make! I cannot fucking stress this enough. Random symptom isolation will never get you anywhere fast. Make a recipe for what you want, and then go aquire the symptoms
2. You'll need five beakers when you get started making your virus:
- Fill the first beaker to the brim with virus food and put it on the table. This is for level one and two symptoms.
- Fill the second beaker with thirty units of virus food, and dump your entire mutagen bottle in. This is for level three symptoms.
- There is no beaker for level four symptoms. Four is an unlucky number or some shit, and, more importantly, all level four symptoms suck
- Fill the third beaker with ten units virus food, ten units Plasma, and then ten units of Synaptazine. This is for level five symptoms. THE ORDER IS IMPORTANT. PUT SYNAPTAZINE IN BEFORE PLASMA AND YOU'LL GET A BEAKER OF VIRUS RATIONS AND PLASMA, WASTING YOUR CHEMS. DONT DO IT.
- Fill the fourth beaker with ten units virus food and ten units of Plasma. This is for level six symptoms
- If you have the clown's can of laughter, you can fill a fifth beaker with ten units of virus food and the entire can of laughter for level zero symptoms
3. Lay out your Formaldehyde, Synaptazine, and Unstable Virus Food.
4. Finally, set an empty beaker out, and either Rhinovirus or the Cold. The Cold's symptom is Coughing, and Rhinovirus is Sneezing. I am a plasmaman, so all my diseases need high transmission- I prefer to set out rhinovirus.
5. Whichever symptom you choose to start with, drop a drop of formaldehyde in immediately! this neuters the symptom so your plague doesnt alert and scare people, which is bad regardless of your antag status. Remember to use your dropper, after setting it to one unit!
6. After you lay out your beakers on the table near the pandemic, situate yourself on a tile adjacent to the tables containing the reagents and your PANDEMIC machine. You will never have to move during this procedure- which saves valuable time.
7. With your recipe in mind, begin placing one unit of your starting symptom culture and one unit of the virus chem corresponding to your disease into the empty beaker. Do NOT place your virus chem into your culture, or your culture into your chem- it will set you back by an insane amount!. After you make ONE reaction, place the empty beaker in the pandemic-You never need to pick any beakers but this empty beaker up during the process- and check the symptoms. If you got what you wanted, create a culture, save your previous culture if it's the starter, you will need it later, or get rid of it if it's a random step in the process, and repeat with the chem for the next symptom, doing symptoms you will neuter first and neutering them as you get them. Repeat until you reach a total of four symptoms. To reiterate step five, ALWAYS use a one unit dropper! it makes you far more efficient with chem usage- if you use a dropper, your starting chems will usually last an entire round!
8. Upon reaching four symptoms, a virus has a chance to lose symptoms on gaining new ones. To avoid this, make a culture of your four symptoms, name it, and put it aside. Take your starter culture out, and begin the step 7 process. Once you get the fifth symptom, use the step seven process with synaptazine to remove the starter symptom, and finally repeat the step seven process one last time to get the last symptom. By now, you should have two cultures- one with four symptoms, and one with two (or one, five symptom diseases exist)
9. Finally, repeat the step seven process one more time, but using the two cultures, instead of a chem and a culture. There is no reaction sound for this mixing! Once you reach the desired number of symptoms (yes, adding symptoms via mixing can delete symptoms just like adding them via chems does), name the virus, and make a culture! you're done! yay! Consider Faltering your disease with Spaceacillin if you don't want it to spread, and/or Preserving it with Cryoxadone.
10. If you are feeling more confident, or want to get more powerful diseases, you can take out your Viral Extrapolator and head to maintenance to find diseases containing more advanced symptoms
Understanding stats[edit | edit source]
After you're done mixing your disease, stats from the symptoms are added together to make disease stats. Viruses have a default of 0 in every stat.
- Stealth: If stealth is 2 or higher your disease will be hidden from medHUD and scanners. Generally it will also hide the warning signs of symptoms before they activate.
- Transmission: Improves the chance each tick to spread the virus, increases the amount of protection you need to prevent infection, determines the infection vector, and is needed to override other viruses.
- The infection vector is calculated with (disease's transmission - amount of symptoms). 2 or less is blood, 3 is fluid contact, 4 is skin contact, 5 is airbone. The Sneezing symptom forces sporadic airborne spreads, but does not otherwise affect this.
- When infecting someone who already has a virus, if the infecting virus' Transmission is higher than the other virus' Resistance, the latter will be overridden by the former.
- Stage speed: Increases the chance of advancing a stage each tick. It will be 2% or stage speed, whichever is higher.
- Resistance: Makes the virus harder to cure; determines the required chemical to cure, decreases the chance of it being cured each tick when in contact with the cure, and defines how resistant the virus is to being overridden by other viruses. Sentient diseases have a fixed cure, and don't rely on resistance to determine their cure.
- The chance of it being cured every tick is 15 - resistance, but always between 10 and 20.
- The cure is determined by [resistance - (amount of symptoms / 2)].
|1 or less||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11 or more|
|Sugar||Ethanol||Table Salt||Spaceacillin||Saline-Glucose Solution||Miner's Salve||Leporazine||Concentrated Barber's Aid||Lipolicide||Haloperidol||Krokodil|
- Severity: Severity determines how virus shows up on a medhud, and which slot a disease occupies. Severity adds up in a manner different to other stats- A severity score below 0, or equal to or above five will be added normally. A severity of 1 or 2 will be added to a maximum of 3. A severity of 3 or 4 will be added to a maximum of 4. Severity also determines which of a person's three disease slots a disease occupies, unless the disease is sentient. Severity is unique in that stats will modify it
|Severity:||1 or less||2-4||5 or more|
Symptoms Table[edit | edit source]
|Eyre I, the Virologist says:|
"Mouse over the names of some of the symptoms- I've left you some advice and useful info. I've also left some similar advice on certain aspects of symptoms that either dont work properly, or need elaboration."
Hover over the thresholds to see the effects of each.
|Symptom||Stealth||Resistance||Stage speed||Transmission||Severity||Level||Required Chemical||Effect||Threshold (hover mouse over for details)|
|Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome||-2||0||-1||-2||5||9||Highly Unstable Virus Food||Causes heavy suffocation damage, while giving a small chance of heart attacks. Becomes even more lethal if the mob has more than 120 suffocation damage. Has no effect if the host does not need to breath||Stage Speed 8, Transmission 8|
|Alopecia||0||3||2||2||0||4||Unstable Mutagen/Sucrose Agar||Causes rapid hair loss.||None|
|Alkali perspiration||2||-2||-2||-2||0||9||Highly Unstable Virus Food||Causes the affected mob to burst into flames periodically. Makes victims explode on contact with water.||Resistance 9, Stage Speed 8, Transmission 8|
|Autophageocytosis Necrosis||-2||-2||1||-2||6||9||Highly Unstable Virus Food||Causes the mob's cells to decay rapidly, causing brute damage, constant bleeding and elevated hunger. Thought to be a precursor to the active viral component of Romerol. This is supported by the fact that it has no effect on the undead.||Stage Speed 7, Stealth 5|
|Bee Infestation||-2||2||1||1||2||8||Highly Unstable Virus Food||Infests the host's stomach with bees, causing minor toxin damage and bee-filled coughs.||Resistance 14, Transmission 10|
|Blob Spores||1||6||-2||1||3||9||Highly Unstable Virus Food||The host produces blob spores, causing them to pop on death, spawning a blob tile and releasing blob spores.||Resistance 8, Resistance 11, Resistance 14|
|Cornu Cutaneum||-3||3||-3||0||1||0||Anomalous Virus Food||The host damages anyone next to them every so often||Resistance 6, Transmission 6|
|Coughing||-1||3||1||2||0||0||Virus Food/Virus Rations||The hostcoughs occasionally||resistance 3, Resistance 10, Stage Speed 6, Stealth 4|
|Confusion||1||-1||-3||0||2||4||Unstable Mutagen/Sucrose Agar||Makes the affected mob be confused for short periods of time, making them walk in random directions.||Resistance 6, Transmission 6, Stealth 4|
|Deafness||-1||-2||-1||-3||2||4||Unstable Mutagen/Sucrose Agar||Causes intermittent loss of hearing.||Resistance 9, Stealth 4|
|Deoxyribonucleic Acid Saboteur||-2||-3||0||-3||3||6||Plasma/Virus Plasma||Gives a random disability. The disabilities are cured when the disease is cured.||Stage Speed 10, Stage Speed 14, Resistance 8, Stealth 5|
|Ducatopod||0||2||5||-2||2||9||Highly Unstable Virus Food||Causes the host to secrete industrial grade lubricant from their feet.||Transmission 10, Resistance 14|
|Eternal Youth||3||4||4||-4||0||5||Plasma/Weakened Virus Plasma||Makes you never physically older than young adulthood and prevents death by old age. !Should be used for buffing your disease.||None|
|Facial Hypertrichosis||1||3||3||1||0||4||Unstable Mutagen/Sucrose Agar||Makes you grow a massive beard, regardless of gender.||None|
|Fever||-1||3||3||2||0||2||Virus Food||Heats up your body. Will not reach damaging levels of heat unless resistance thresholds are met.||Resistance 5, Resistance 10|
|Hallucigen||1||-3||-1||-1||1||5||Plasma/Weakened Virus Plasma||Makes the affected mob have hallucinations for short periods of time. Available in Virus Crates.||Stage Speed 7, Stealth 2|
|Headache||-1||4||2||0||0||1||Virus Food/Virus Rations||Displays an annoying message! Should be used for buffing your disease.||Stage Speed 6, Stage Speed 9, Stealth 4|
|Heart Disease||2||1||-6||-2||5||9||Highly Unstable Virus Food||Causes the affected mob to have a heart attack. Usually takes a very long time to occur even after reaching stage 5, and provides a large bold red text warning.||Stealth 2, Transmission 10|
|Inorganic Biology||-1||4||-2||3||0||5||Plasma/Weakened Virus Plasma||The virus becomes able to affect inorganic species, such as Golems or Plasmamen.||None|
|Hyperperspiration||1||-1||0||-1||1||6||Plasma/Virus Plasma||Causes the host to sweat, lowering firestacks by a small amount and sometimes leaving a puddle of water.||Transmission 6, Transmission 8|
|Hyphema||-1||-3||-4||-2||3||5||Plasma/Weakened Virus Plasma||Inflicts eye damage over time. Causes blindness if left unchecked.||Resistance 12, Stealth 4|
|Irradiant Cells||-1||2||-1||2||3||8||Stable Uranium Gel||The host's cells destabilize, causing them to become radioactive and take radiation damage||Stage Speed 8|
|Itching||0||3||3||1||0||1||Virus Food/Virus Rations||Displays an annoying message. Should be used for buffing your disease. Can do slight brute damage if the stage speed threshold is met.||Transmission 6, Stage Speed 7|
|Mind Restoration||-1||-2||1||-3||-1||5||Plasma/Virus Plasma||The virus strengthens the bonds between neurons, reducing the duration of any ailment of the mind. Heals brain damage, and can cure mild and heavy traumas if upgraded.||Resistance 6, Resistance 9, Transmission 8|
|Nano-symbiosis||0||2||2||-1||-1||7||Unstable Uranium Gel||The virus reacts to nanites in the host's bloodstream by enhancing their replication cycle. This can cause some unpredictable nanite activation.||Stage Speed 7, Transmission 5|
|Narcolepsy||1||-2||-3||-2||2||6||Plasma/Virus Plasma||Makes the host drowsy and prone to falling asleep randomly.||Transmission 7, Resistance 10|
|Necrotic Metabolism||2||2||2||0||0||5||Plasma/Weakened Virus Plasma||The virus becomes able to affect undead races, and continues to process even when the host dies. It's especially useful if combined with symptoms like Bee Infestation or Macrophage||None|
|Necrotizing Fasciitis||-3||-4||0||-4||4||6||Plasma/Virus Plasma||Causes brute damage over time. Fatal if left untreated.||Resistance 7, Transmission 8|
|Necropolis Seed||0||3||-10||-3||-1||9||Highly Unstable Virus Food||Makes the host do more damage with their punches, take less damage, and slows them down.||Stealth 8, Resistance 15, Resistance 20|
|Neural Decay||1||-2||-3||-1||3||8||Stable Uranium Gel||The host's brain begins to die, dealing high brain damage||Resistance 10 Transmission 12|
|Organic Flux Induction||0||-1||-1||-2||2||6||Plasma/Virus Plasma||Causes EMPs on the host occasionally. Has a cell damage healing threshold.||Stealth 2, Transmission 8|
|Pierrot's Throat||-1||3||1||2||0||0||Anomalous Virus Food||The host honks occasionally||Transmission 10, Resistance 10, Resistance 15|
|Pituitary Disruption||-3||-2||1||-2||1||7||Unstable Uranium Gel||Causes the host to grow, with size scaling with stage speed. Has brute healing thresholds.||Stage Speed 6, Stage Speed 12|
|Polyvitiligo||0||1||4||1||0||0||Unstable Mutagen/Sucrose Agar||The host changes color randomly.||None|
|Regenerative Coma||0||2||-3||-3||-2||8||Stable Uranium Gel||Causes the host to fall into a death-like coma when heavily damaged, then rapidly cures their wounds.||Stealth 2, Resistance 4, Stage Speed 7|
|Revitiligo||1||2||1||2||0||5||Plasma/Weakened Virus Plasma||Makes the host black. Every virologist's first joke plague. No one finds it funny anymore.||None|
|SBG Syndrome||0||3||3||1||0||0||Anomalous Virus Food||Makes cockroaches crawl from the user's face. Should be used for buffing your disease.||Transmission 8, Stage Speed 8|
|Self-Respiration||1||-3||-3||-4||-1||6||Plasma/Virus Plasma||Quickly heals oxygen damage, negating the need for air. Causes occasional farting, which spreads miasma.||Resistance 8|
|Sensory Restoration||0||1||-2||2||-1||4||Unstable Mutagen/Sucrose Agar||Restores mob's senses by fixing eye and ear damage and curing hallucinations.||None|
|Shivering||0||2||2||2||0||2||Virus Food||Cools down your body. Won't reach damaging levels unless thresholds are met.||Stage Speed 5, Stage Speed 10|
|Silicolysis||0||4||-1||1||0||7||Unstable Uranium Gel||The virus reacts to nanites in the host's bloodstream by attacking and consuming them, which also causes them to go haywire as they die.||Stage Speed 5, Resistance 7|
|Sneezing||-2||3||0||4||0||1||Virus Food/Virus Rations||Causes the mob to occasionally sneeze.||Stealth 4|
|Spontaneous Combustion||1||-2||-3||-3||4||6||Plasma/Virus Plasma||Sets your body on fire periodically, with amount of stacks based on stage speed, minus stealth. Fire intensity is doubled if the host is fat.||Stage Speed 4, Stage Speed 8, Transmission 8, Stealth 4|
|Superficial healing||-1||-2||-2||0||-1||6||Plasma/Virus Plasma||Heals brute and burn damage passively, if you have under 15 of either||Resistance 10 Stage Speed 8|
|Thermal Retrostable Displacement||0||2||-2||-3||0||8||Stable Uranium Gel||If the host gets too hot or too cold, they will teleport to a location where they were at a safe temperature previously. The temperature the area is NOW doesn't matter, though. Has burn healing thresholds.||Resistance 6, Transmission 8|
|Toxolysis||0||-2||2||-2||0||7||Unstable Uranium Gel||Purges all chemicals at a fast rate from the bloodstream.||Resistance 7, Stage Speed 6|
|Viral Aggressive Metabolism||1||-4||3||-3||0||3||Unstable Mutagen/Mutagenic Agar||The disease starts at level 5, but cures itself over time||Stealth 4|
|Viral Evolutionary Acceleration||-2||-3||5||3||0||3||Unstable Mutagen/Mutagenic Agar||No effects other than its stats, which are quite useful. You'll typically have at least one of this and Viral Self-Adaptation in your disease.||None|
|Viral Self-Adaptation||3||5||-3||0||0||3||Unstable Mutagen/Mutagenic Agar||No effects other than its stats, which are quite useful. You'll typically have at least one of this and Viral Evolutionary Acceleration in your disease.||None|
|Vitiligo||2||0||3||1||0||5||Plasma/Weakened Virus Plasma||Makes the mob lose skin pigmentation.||None|
|Voice Change||-1||-2||-2||2||2||6||Plasma/Virus Plasma||Changes the voice of the affected mob. Causing confusion in communication. Available in Virus Crates.||Transmission 14, Stage Speed 7, Stealth 3|
|Vomiting||-2||1||0||2||1||3||Unstable Mutagen/Mutagenic Agar||Forces the affected mob to vomit! Makes the affected mob lose nutrition and heal toxin damage. Vomit can transmit the virus to people stepping on it.||Resistance 7, Transmission 7, Stealth 4|
|Weight Loss||-2||2||-2||1||2||3||Unstable Mutagen/Mutagenic Agar||The virus mutates the host's metabolism, making it almost unable to gain nutrition from food.||Stealth 4|
|Wizarditis||1||-2||-3||-1||0||0||Anomalous Virus Food||The host believes themselves to be a wizard||Transmission 12, Stage Speed 7|
|Macrophage||-4||1||-2||2||2||9||Highly Unstable Virus Food||The virus grows within the host, ceasing to be microscopic and causing severe bodily harm. These Phages will seek out, attack, and infect more viable hosts.||Resistance , Stage Speed , Transmission 10, Transmission 12|
General Tips[edit | edit source]
- You can get plasma and uranium from the medical autolathe if mining has picked it up. No need to waste time going to the ORM.
- The clown will typically be happy to give you his canned laughter for Anomalous Virus Food
- Never make sucrine agar unless you absolutely need a level four symptom for some ungodly reason
- If you wear the biosuit, you're an idiot. The only time you need to wear that is when working with patients or monkeys, and it slows you down. If you release a disease as a traitor, you should have immunized yourself beforehand- a biosuit sticks out like a sore thumb
- ALWAYS make your diseases beforehand. Have a recipe ready to work with any given symptom. This is the MOST IMPORTANT part of being good at virology.
- Never use pure mutagen or pure plasma. Always make virus chems, it doubles your efficiency.
- If you want to kill a single person instead of the whole station, use chemicals instead of viruses- they're more effective than a single-host virus. Unless you rolled Bee Infection- release a resistance 14 bee plague , and inject your mark with mint toxin a few minutes later!
- Single person oriented beneficial diseases are superior to beneficial diseases with high transmission, as they can have higher stats without worrying about transmission. Unless you're a Plasmaman.
- Stealth below 2 is useless. Stealth above 2 is largely unecessary unless you need to meet a threshold or you don't want to be valided- If you neuter your symptoms properly, your disease will not be noticed by anyone other than doctors with medhuds.
The Black Death[edit | edit source]
Being a traitor virologist allows you to finally come out of your shell and release those negative recipes you've been aching to test, and put those level nine symptoms to the true test!
- Sabotaging the Pandemic is usually a good idea, as it can create a vaccine for a cured virus which is cheap and easy to distribute, even if the virus is extremely resistant.
- Sabotaging the holodeck computer is also a good idea because its Emergency Medical simulation also contains a Pandemic.
- Sabotaging chemistry can stop them from making most of the chems that can cure viruses.
- A dropper works as a 1-5 unit hypospray when used on a target not wearing any eye protection.
- An infected monkey in medbay is another easy way to spread a disease
- Immunize yourself before releasing your death plague!