"Well maybe if the Captain had asked before plunging that syringe into his artery he wouldn't be a monkey now."
|Access||Medbay, Morgue, Genetics, Research Division|
|Additional Access||Chemistry, Virology, Xenobiology, Robotics, Tech Storage, ORM|
|Supervisors||Research Director and Chief Medical Officer|
|Rank||Lance Corporal (LCPL)|
|Duties||Alter genomes, turn monkeys into humans and vice versa, make DNA backups so they can get stolen, clone dead people|
|Guides||Guide to genetics, Guide to medicine|
Welcome to Genetics! Here your job will be to clone people and play God. This is a very technical and
boring job, but there are prizes to be found at the end of tunnel.
Bare minimum requirements: Clone the corpses dropped off at your doorstep. Don't give away Hulk to the greytide.
Your hometown[edit | edit source]
Your workplace is the Genetics Lab, usually located in Medbay. It has two separete parts: Cloning and the Lab itself.
Cloning is usually the bigger and messier place. It has a long cryo tube alongside a cloning pod, a DNA scanner and a console between these two
along with numerous rotting bodies. This is where dead people get dropped off, and its your job to clone them. (We will get to this later)
The other part of your workplace, your inner sanctuary is the lab. Here there are two sets of DNA scanners, consoles and DNA manipulators. Here you and your coworker will spend most of your day, altering genomes.
This is one half of your job. Make sure you know how do it (and actually fucking do it).
Cloning dead bodies[edit | edit source]
Cloning is dead simple. If you have played Doctor before, you most likely have done it already. Just to make sure, here are the steps:
- Put the body in the scanner and close the scanner on him.
- Head over to the console and click scan.
- If there are no errors, click the "See Records" button, and select the guy you just scanned, and hit the "Clone" button.
- If there are errors, refer to the guide here.
- If all the above has gone well, the cloning cycle will begin. Your job is now over, and you can leave the cloning bay.
If you have more bodies you have to clone, or if you want to be more helpful, you can get the body out of the scanner - after it has been scanned of course - , strip them of their gear and throw it outside the cloning pod, ready to be picked up by their new clone. This way, you can clone people faster. Just dont leave the Captain's spare lying around unattended.
The cloner can be further upgraded by scientists to autoprocess, ignore errors and even more.
(This subject is futher detailed in the Guide to genetics)
Pre-scanning[edit | edit source]
You can take a scan off of someone while they're alive and create a genetic backup ready to be cloned in case they die. This is useful to those with especially high risks of an irretrievable death like the pilots, Chief Engineer or Captain.
The process goes like this:
- Bug people to get scanned at genetics while they're still alive.
- Scan them.
- Press the "clone" button under their records when they die.
If the scientists have upgraded the cloner, the console can be set to autoprocess, which means that the last step can be ignored. You don't even have to leave your desk!
Genetic Research[edit | edit source]
This is where the fun begins! Researching genomes is what you will be doing most of the time, as cloning is usually handled by the doctors.
Your research will consist of clicking buttons on a console. Some people might find this boring, but you know that, at the end of the day, you will be a Hulk with X-ray eyes and Telekinesis, and they will not.
The process of research is detailed in the Guide to genetics, but here I will do a brief overview:
- First, grab a monkey from the pen, and put it into the scanner.
- Then look at its mutations, and find one with the least X-es. Click on the X-es, and fill it in with the corresponding pair.
- Remember:A-T, G-C
- If you have two X-es, you can use your special power by selecting "Joker" to fill in the whole pair at once
- If all the pairs are filled, take a look at what mutation you got. If its good, store it and print a mutator for yourself.
Following this cycle, you will become the space God you always wanted to be.
Handing out mutations[edit | edit source]
This is some shady business. Be warned that handing out dangerous or too powerful mutations to random people can earn you a ban. The CMO can also veto any mutation being given out, and security wont like you either, if they see Chucklefucks running around with superpowers.
On the brightside, you can become the most beloved man/woman/IPC of the ship if you hand out beneficial mutators. Everybody apprecaites some Space adaption on a ship full of holes, and a bit of Telepathy can help out in comms-outages or if you happen to go mute. Furthermore, if the HoS or the Captain agrees, Security Officers with X-ray eyes and Hulk are a force to be reckoned with. But dont stop there! Engineers and Doctors could always use more help.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If the cloning process changed your looks, you can stuff your old (dead) body in a DNA modifier, scan the UI/UE, and inject those into yourself to get your old appearance back.
- If someone has a cavity implanted item, you can instantly remove it by monkeying them.
- Clones start with 190 clone loss and 99 brain damage, they can be ejected with a geneticists ID at 120 clone loss (about 40% complete). The cloner takes about 2:30 minutes to pop out an almost complete clone. Ejecting at 40% then sticking in a cryotube speeds up the process by only a few seconds, but does mean you can clone multiple people at once. Force ejecting by either turning off APC power or emagging the clone tube then shoving them in the cryo tubes does finish them almost twice as fast AND means you can clone 3 people at the same time.
- Turning off the APC's equipment power also ejects a clone regardless of health. Good for speedcloning. Clone one to 25%, throw in cryo, clone another to 25%, throw in cryo, clone one guy until the first guy in cryo is done, repeat.
- Monkeying someone who is impregnated will cure them.
- The Genetics DNA altering console can spit out injectors for UEs and UIs as well as SEs. This means that, if you get a willing volunteer or even just human a monkey, you can run around the ship changing everyone into the same person (if you do this without being antag or having people’s consent, you will get banned).
- You can put disks into the cloning computer to save the UI, UE and SE of people scanned.
- Vodka heals radiation damage.
- Radiation (and thus radstorms and mutagen) has a very, VERY small chance to give non-negative effects. One of the "Gotta go fast" schools of genetics is to hit a monkeyperson with a load of mutagen and get most of the disability blocks in five minutes.
- It can be empirically shown that, for an unupgraded machine, a pulse duration of 4 seconds is the most efficient trade-off of time and success rate.
- If the mime's being a jackass, stealthily inject him/her with a Tourettes SE, and watch them get lynched for breaking their vow
Traitortips[edit | edit source]
- Monkey SE's are a hell of a weapon.
- Change your identity if you're caught being a shitler. Keeps people off of you.
- TK is still very OP. With Xray it's nigh-unstoppable if used correctly. You can:
- Bash people with items. If they pick the item up you can still hit them with it.
- Steal ID's out of computers
- Steal guns out of charging stations
- Steal items across desks
- Kill people through cameras
- Operate basic machinery (unfortunately you can't use the chemmaster but you can put things into it)
- Be an all around douchebag
- And if you have x-ray you're even more unstoppable than before. You can hide in lockers in maint and dick around all you want. ADDED: If you use TK on a fire extinguisher cabinet anywhere the extinguisher will teleport straight into your hand, as well.
- XRAY + TK can be used to onehuman the AI from outside the upload. Unfortunately, you cannot activate the freeform module correctly. Shame.
- Hulk is a classic for a reason, but once you pop it, you can hardly be silent anymore.
- Genetics gives you a LOT of oportunities, so experiment! Be a swedish Hulk, Bork! Act as a ghost, bullying people with Telepathy and TK!
WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?![edit | edit source]
Antagonist geneticist gives you a ton of freedom, even if you are going for a classic do-your-objective-and-dip way, or if you want to do a gimmick.
Imagine Hulk with lasers shooting from his eyes and the ground shifting at his will. Then imagine the Geneticist who just robusted him. As a traitor Geneticist, you are nigh unstoppable if you can get a few of the real good mutations. Just remeber to destroy the consoles, or simply delete the records, to deny security your powers. Furthermore, a big upside is that people dont question if they see you dragging a dead body around.
Boy, are you in for a treat. All you have to do is humanize a few monkeys, then suck them out. You can also get some kickass mutations that basically make a few ling powers pointless.
[edit | edit source]
Xenos can also use the monkyes, altough Genetics isnt too hidden for a hive to set up.
DO NOT USE MONKEY SE'S ON THE OTHER CREW MEMBERS IF YOU ARE NOT AN ANTAGONIST. THIS WILL GET YOU BANNED.